11.08.2008

Pumpkin Spicy

I don't treat myself to coffee-shop coffee very often. I just can't justify the expense. But once or twice a month (usually when I'm grocery shopping), I indulge. I caved this past week during a 1-on-1 with one of my girls. We visited Starbucks, and the Pumpkin Spice Latte called to me.

Now, no matter where I am, I'm not one of those, "double pump, triple hot, extra spicy, fourteen shots, upside-down, extra whipped cream, no drizzle, rice milk" type of orderers. I just want what you're advertising, straight and simple, thanks. So, I ordered my grande latte right off the menu, and that's what I expected to get.

We took our drinks and attempted to sit down (only to be barraged by an over-friendly customer who I'm pretty sure was in detox) -- then we left. About halfway back to the school I realized my drink tasted entirely too much like coffee for my liking! :) I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but then realized they took the liberty of making it with skim milk. Aw, man!!

I like skim milk on my cereal and in my baking, even in my soups. But when I'm ordering coffee, it should be sweet and creamy, and preferably caramely or chocolatey. Made with 2% milk like all the default drinks. The skim milk was not doing the trick to tone it down. Nevertheless, we were halfway back, and the line at the shop was long. I'm not that serious about my coffee.

Honest mistake, no harm done. I certainly don't need extra fat in my diet. But when I spend nearly $4 on a cup a joe, I don't expect it to be fat- or sugar-free. In fact, I expect it to taste as much like dessert as possible!! Cheers?!

No comments: