8.30.2008

A CraSieh Recipe

I have a recipe to share. I am posting it because EVERY time I've made it, without fail, someone has asked me for the recipe. And that's how I acquired it originally!

Now, this recipe wouldn't make Martha Stewart proud. In fact, she'd probably take one look at it, shudder and back away. It's not made with "fine" ingredients, it's not really pretty-looking, and it's not what you'd call...well...healthy. :)

I was pregnant with Cam the first time I tried this breakfast casserole, and I could only describe it as all my pregnancy cravings rolled into one fabulous brunchtime dish. A dose of carbs, eggs, cheese, and more than a couple sources of SALT. Delish.

Take it as you will. It's good to feed a family (or Sunday School class - why I'm making it tonight), and should probably be served with a side of fruit to balance out it's savory decadence and to make everyone feel better about having seconds.

Sausage & Mushroom Egg Bake

6 oz seasoned croutons (about 1 bag)
2 packages Jimmy Dean-style roll sausage (1 hot, 1 original)
6 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk, divided
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms, drained

Pour croutons in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Combine both rolls of sausage and brown, drain grease. Spread sausage over croutons in pan, top sausage with cheese. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and two cups of milk. Pour this mixture over layers already in pan. In the same bowl (as few dishes as possible!) combine cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, and 1/2 cup of milk. Spread this mixture on top of the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Before baking, let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes until edges are bubbly.

I hope you try it at least once! If you like sausage and mushrooms, it's guaranteed to please!

[A little] Greasy. Cheesy. Yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm....