7.17.2009

Simple Salsa

Have you ever made your own salsa? If you haven't, especially if it's because you found it too intimidating, I've got a recipe for you! It made a salsa mama out of me!

Our Sunday School teachers from our first two years at CVC, Carlos and Mary, always brought this salsa to get-togethers. Mary said she wasn't a good cook, but this was one thing she could handle. Now, I like to cook, but I'm short on time and energy, so my ears always perk up when I hear someone speak of a simple recipe... :)

To execute this salsa, all you need is a food processor (I've made in a blender, too), and the ingredients. It's not the chunky salsa consistency that some prefer, so probably not quite authentic, but it's SO easy, tastes bright and fresh and can stand up to any Mexican restaurant's "house" variety. Enjoy!

Simple Salsa

1 - 14.5 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
1/4 - 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
1-2 jalapenos, roughly chopped, seeds removed
Cilantro (I usually use 1/2 - 3/4 of a bunch)
Juice of 1 lime
Pepper, to taste
Garlic salt, to taste

Pour peeled tomatoes (and juice, if thinner salsa is desired) into food processor. Pulse until tomatoes are beginning to chop, but not completely pureed. Pour into medium sized bowl. Follow the same process with onions, jalapenos, and cilantro, chopping all to desired consistency before mixing with tomatoes. Once all ingredients are incorporated, add the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. (Regular salt is fine if you don't like garlic or the garlic flavor is getting too strong).

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours! This is a smaller recipe, I'd (at least) double it if you're making for a crowd. This is also fantastic to combine with avacados and make a delicious version of guacamole.

Note: If jalapenos are too much for you, try boiling them before rough chopping (for about 5 minutes). It reduces the heat factor a bit. As for me...I like 'em spicy!! I'm also a cilantro fanatic, so I probably use more of that than the average person would.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Mary made a salsa mama out of me too. :) (Me and Lindsey Hanson were OBSESSED w/ this salsa for quite some time.)
Now I need to make some. Mmmmm...

Lori said...

This sounds good and could even be made in the winter when fresh stuff is scarce.