7.05.2009

Independence Day

I hope you all had a relaxing 4th of July! We had a rainy, cloudy day, but I was overcome with emotion (always) as we celebrated. We hung out at home all morning and watched the rain come down, then headed to Denny's for lunch --right on the parade route in Apple Valley -- and satisfied MY pregnancy cravings (a sandwich with a juicy tomato - Caleb's order; pancakes - my order; and bacon - Cam's order).

We exited the restaurant and watched just the beginning of what looked to be a fantastic parade because the kids were getting tired. Tears came to my eyes several times as the flags were presented by various groups, marching bands played familiar patriotic anthems and both current and retired soldiers waved and received applause. I am so very thankful for those who founded this country on Godly principles, those who have fallen and still fight to defend that freedom, and for my true freedom in Christ, without which my other rights and privileges would be far less rich. I am truly blessed.

We ended the evening with a dip in the pool (it was COLD but Caleb kept them moving), and burgers and hot dogs on the grill with baked beans and corn on the cob. Angel food cake and strawberries for dessert. A fun, fulfilling family day.

I didn't get many pics of our day (I am coming down with a cold - five THOUSAND times worse when you're pregnant), but I thought it was fun to compare shots of the kids from 2008 to this year. Funny how much they change...

Happy Independence Day!

Elly, July 2008 (almost 2 months old)

Cameron, July 2008 (1 1/2 years old)

Elly, July 4, 2009.
My little firecracker!

The duo, mesmerized by Mickey Mouse.

No comments: